The Department Manager oversees all the activities of the electrical engineering department by providing and supervising department staff and technical resources necessary for project management, engineering design, and support through all phases of project design and construction. Internally this individual has full responsibility within the department for efficient use of resources, quality control, project budgets, and schedules as well as managing relations of 8- 10 direct reports. Externally this person has responsibility for writing fee proposals, coordinating with internal and external clients and maintaining client relationships. This position reports to the Director of Electrical Engineering.
The Department Manager is responsible for the following tasks in support of company efforts:
- Coordinates with other Department Managers to determine scope, complexity, planning and scheduling requirements for departmental and firm-wide projects
- Assigns department personnel to project teams to provide planning, design and technical support as required while balancing departmental direct costs
- Determines appropriate individual qualifications for assignments.
- Monitors and approves hourly budgets with assigned personnel.
- Establishes, implements and maintains departmental design and technical standards. – Assists in the development and coordination of inter-departmental policies, procedures, and standards.
- Directs and supervises the activities and professional development of designers and junior engineers.
- Remains actively engaged in the design process of all department projects, and seals work accomplished under their supervision.
- Supervises and assists in the planning and designing of electrical engineering projects including studies, analyses, construction documents, and presentations.
- Serves as primary departmental technical spokesperson and technical resource.
- Maintains a minimum annual average of 60% direct billable time.
- Work with Marketing and Business Development Department to prepares project resumes, descriptions, data information, and technical content for website, newsletter, and white papers to promote firm growth
- Participates in project interviews and presentations as needed
- Manages personnel functions including hiring, performance evaluations, employee onboarding, training and development across multiple offices.
- Recommends salary and position changes to Leadership Team
- Participates in regular Department Manager meetings
- Licensed/Registered Electrical Engineer, PE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
- 10+ years’ of relevant and progressive experience with 5+ in a supervisory role
- Proficient use in MS Office as well as discipline-specific and project management software applications
- Skills in business development and client relationship management
- Professional knowledge and experience in the following areas:
- Medium-voltage and low-voltage power distribution and protection
- lighting and power systems for buildings
- exterior spaces
- transportation infrastructure
- outdoor recreational facilities
- healthcare facilities
- multi-family residential
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field
- Additional accreditations or certification especially centered around sustainable design – i.e. Commissioning, LEED AP, USGB
- Proficient use in AutoCAD and Revit
To apply for this job please visit bpsrecruiting.com.