The Senior Mechanical Engineer is responsible for producing construction documents (drawings and specifications) in compliance with the scope, budget, and project schedule to the satisfaction of the company’s clients; to provide consulting services, including reports of findings, engineering analyses, and resulting design work as necessary for review. Additionally, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will actively engage in and pursue business development activities.
- Plans, organizes, and checks work, gives instructions and assistance, and makes technical decisions in connection with the supervision of the work of a group of designers and drafting technicians engaged in making complete designs, construction drawings, and specifications of major mechanical installations, such as heating and air-conditioning, ventilation, refrigeration, fire protection, plumbing, sewage collection systems, water supply and water purification systems, drainage systems, and steam generating plants.
- Writes technical specifications
- Prepares cost estimates of mechanical systems
- Conducts detailed inspections of construction operations in the field
- Conducts independent surveys covering installation, repair, and recommended improvements to mechanical systems
- Assist Business Development Department in identifying potential clients and/or opportunities.
- Prepare project resumes, project descriptions, project data information as requested by the Business Development Department for use in proposals and marketing materials.
- Participate in project interviews and presentations as requested by Business Development Department.
- Assists Business Development Department in efforts to expand fire protection services offered by the company. Specialized marketing, as determined and directed by Business Development; of candidate’s skills may be required.
- Assess client needs and be accountable for preparing project scopes of work and fee proposals
- Coordinate project scope of work and fee with in-house discipline (Architectural, Civil, Electrical), sub-consultants, and clients.
- Negotiate fee proposals with clients and sub-consultants.
- Organize and execute work plans for projects assigned by Departmental Manager.
- Review project budget and schedule objectives with Departmental Manager.
- Coordinate ongoing inter- and intradepartmental manpower requirements with the companies Department Managers. Modify work plans as necessary to adapt to dynamic corporate priorities.
- Coordinate sub-consultant manpower requirements
- Assess the impact of changes in project scope, prepare change order requests and negotiate change order amounts with client
- Perform technical studies and assessments as assigned by Department Manager.
- Travel to sites as necessary to perform fieldwork, meet with clients or present information. Overnight travel out of Tucson can be required.
- Supervise work of junior engineers, drafters, and clerical staff and subcontractors to provide a quality product in a timely manner
- Seal technical studies and assessments as necessary to meet the requirements of the client and/or the Arizona Board of Technical Registration
- Prepare phases of Construction Documents for projects assigned by Department Manager
- Participate in departmental efforts to improve specification, drawing, calculation and production standards as requested by Departmental Manager
- Participate in departmental efforts to educate and mentor junior engineers, designers, and drafters
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or BS Architectural Engineering from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience working with a consulting/design firm as a Mechanical Engineer
- Registered Professional Engineer in Arizona or have the ability to obtain registration within six months of hire
- Proficient in the use of MS products.
- Strong communication, writing, and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision while adhering to project deadline
- Experience in Plumbing System Design is highly preferred
- Experience in executing business development strategies including initiating contact with existing and potential clients, identifying client needs and selling appropriate design services to meet those needs is highly preferable
- Desire and aptitude to grow clientele base
- Strong interview and presentation skills
To apply for this job please visit bpsrecruiting.com.